White River Trails District
Proudly serving the youth and families of Greene, Daviess, Lawrence, Martin, and Orange Counties.
Scouting continues in the face of COVID-19!
While some businesses are shut down and Scouting events for April and May have been postponed or canceled, Scouting knows no bounds. Hoosier trails Council, amongst several other councils nationwide, are making available opportunities such as merit badge fairs and electives (Cub Scouts) for Scouts to participate and keep Scouting going.
For more information click here.
Hopefully, the guidelines on social distancing will be lifted, allowing for units to plan and participate in Scouting activities during the summer months.
What units can do now...
Now that the Scouts are staying home, what can the unit leadership do? Good question! Even though units are not meeting at this time, the leadership can do the following:
1. Maintain contact with adult volunteers. Encourage them with messages that the unit will get back together when it is possible, and in the meantime, take advantage of the online opportunities that are available.
2. Begin planning the unit's Year of Scouting! Work through various technology to begin laying out the unit's plans for the next year. The Pack's committee can choose some awesome activities, while, the Troop's Senior Patrol and Patrol Leadership Council can begin coming up with activities.
3. Begin crafting the unit's membership growth plan for Fall recruitment. Recruit volunteers to participate during Join Scouts Night. If your unit is following the five table format (modified down to three, if needed), begin assigning leaders to a table.
4. Complete training. Many throughout the district need to renew their Youth Protection Training. There are also several adult volunteers that can take this time to complete position-specific training (Den Leader, Committee, Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, and assistants). To go to training click here.
5. Do you have a popcorn kernel? How about co-popcorn kernel's? Now is a great time to figure out who is the best fit to help coordinate the unit's popcorn campaign. Having someone in place will help them to begin thinking about store-front opportunities and draft a neighborhood blitz!
Summer Camp 2020 is still on!
Summer camp is where we deliver the promise of Scouting through the adventures we offer. This is the highlight of a Scout Troop’s program year, and our staff is ready to help make that a reality for you and your Scouts.
Early bird registration is available through May 15th!
To register for summer camp click here.
Friends of Scouting 2020
While the 2020 Friends of Scouting (FOS) Campaign continues, the social distancing guidelines have prevented some units from having a FOS presentation, which, support raised goes toward the unit's Platinum goal. Once the guidelines are removed, units that still need a presentation can contact Rod Kates to schedule a presentation. Depending on when guidelines are modified, some units may need to schedule for the Fall.
District Bulletin Board